Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim....




The Mujahada in Prada

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

~What Did You Learn Today?~

aSalaam uAlaikum and good evening my Stylish Sisters!
One of my very favorite memories of my childhood is dinner time. Not necessarily for the food that we ate (because to be quite honest I was a horribly picky child and rarely liked anything my mom cooked) but more for the connections that were made, the laughs that were shared, and the stories that were told during those evenings. When I was young we always sat around the dinner table as a family, and every single evening without fail we were asked the inevitable question:
"What did you learn today?"
Some days I would cringe...pause as if in thought and make up some vague reply about algebra problems or punctuation rules. This became increasingly frequent in high school, when I was going through the "too cool for my parents" phase and didn't want them knowing any aspect of my life. (A phase I am NOT looking forward to when my daughter gets older)
But honestly, most days I genuinely looked forward to this question. I loved telling my parents and my brother something new, something exciting, something earth-shattering that had shifted my view of the world as if looking through a kaleidoscope. I would relish the times I shared something that they actually didn't know. (or at least acted as if they didn't) When I was young my brother was the absolute coolest person on earth, and if I could name something that he didn't know already, well that just made my week.
So, I have decided that it would be fun to do the same thing with you amazing women. Let's try to share something that we've learned from our day, whether it's about fashion or fatwas, kids or Qur'an, it could be a wonderful way to connect as sisters. And who knows-something you learned just may help out one of your sisters in Islam!
So...today I learned this:
...Sometimes in life it is important for us to look back in order to move forward. It is very easy to gradually fall away from people who once meant the world to you, either through negligence, or laziness, or misunderstandings. Sometimes all it takes to find them again is a quiet moment alone, with a lap full of pictures and a box of kleenex and you are right back to loving them again as if you had never stopped...
Ma'Salaama and Sweet Dreams.
Fashionably Yours,
The Mujahada in Prada

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.