Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim....




The Mujahada in Prada

Saturday, February 19, 2011

~The New Hair Craze: Feathers! (and I don't mean Farrah Fawcett style)~

aSalaam uAlaikum and Good (very early) Morning My Stylish Sisters!

I am sitting here pouring myself a cup of green tea (trying to cut back on coffee) relaxing after a late-night girly session of feathering my cousin's hair.  By feathering in no way do I mean those gigantic, fly-away hair styles that Charlie's Angels made popular in the seventies.  I mean actual feathers. 

Yes....from birds.

Like....tweet tweet.

It's the newest and hottest craze here for hair in the United States, and I actually think it's pretty cool.  It's much less harmful to your hair than putting in highlights, and they can be taken out at any time.  The feathers are available in any color under the sun, and are easy enough to put in at home with a little patience and the right tools.  Here are a few pictures of celebrities and other ladies who have opted for these sweet little accessories:

Kesha-The Original Feather-er Herself

A More Dramatic Feathery Look


More Subdued Feather Effect 
(similar to what I did tonight)

Look At All The Pretty Colors!!


Hair Feathering Kit


When properly inserted, these fancy filligrees can stay put for a little over a month, even with washing and drying of the hair.  The coolest thing about them (IMO) is that if you have a formal event, job interview, funeral, etc. suddenly come up you can easily remove them, and then put them back in later.  For those sisters who wear hijab it's an inexpensive way to add a touch of sass to your hair for a women's-only event or an extra special evening with the hubby!

Now, I must admit one thing.  I am personally a little freaked out by birds.  I'm not sure, but I think it may stem from some trauma I endured as a young child discovering that my two beloved parakeets had been mauled by a relative's dog.  I can still picture the feathers scattered throughout the room, and I've never been able to own a pet bird since.  I would also be curious to make sure that all of these feathers that are being used to adorn all these ladies updos are come by in an ethical and safe manner for the birds.  Those two issues aside, I really do adore the look.

So...for those ladies who want to jump on the bandwagon and get their own funky feathers, you can go to dohairextensions.com for all of the supplies you need, including beads, a crimper, a threader, and the feathers themselves.

So, what do you fabulous fashionistas think?  Is this a fad you can see yourself following?  I'd love to hear your comments!

For the time being, I'm off to finish my tea and roll my preggy belly into bed.

Ma'Salaama and Happy Feathering!

Fashionably Yours,
The (tweet! tweet!) Mujahada in Prada

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

waAlaikum asSalaam waRamatullahi waBarakatuh habibti :)

I think it looks really neat! Although, like you, I am concerned about the birds. That alone would deter me from ever doing this until I found out where and how the feathers are removed. I have enough sins going against me, ya know? Don't need anymore. Its gotta be WAY more healthy for your hair than highlights like you said though! MashaAllah. Kesha sure is a trend setter. My girls love her styles. Great to see you back posting!

Gianna said...

I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

Style It Girl said...

Hey!
I love that! Great blog, I love it! Keep up the great work, and please check out mine! please follow or comment! http://styleitgirl.blogspot.com/