Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim....




The Mujahada in Prada

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

~My Fashion Inspirations~

aSalaam uAlaikum and Good Evening My Stylish Sisters!

In every woman's life there is at least one person who especially stands out as an inspiration for her fashion sense and personal style.  And I don't mean a famous designer or celebrity.  I am talking about that one lady who is near and dear to you who has helped mold you into the fashionista you are today.  She may be your mother, your sister, or just a close friend, but whoever she is, I think she deserves some recognition, don't you?

Personally, I have two Fashion Inspirations.  Being a revert (convert) to Islam, I think I deserve two.  I mean for my sisters who are reading this who are also reverts, when we take our Shahada aren't we starting a brand new life in a way?

My first Fashion Inspiration is my wonderful Mom.  Ever since I was little I can remember her wearing the most beautiful, classy, and unique outfits.  Although our styles were never quite identical, she was an inspiration to me for always dressing like a sophisticated lady.  She is the type of woman who gets up, gets dressed and does her hair and makeup in the morning even when she has nowhere to go.  She has never owned a pair of jeans, and instilled in me the value of always looking your best, without sacrficing modesty or femininity.  When I started wearing hijab, she wasn't crazy about it at first, but since then has even gone out looking for scarves for me.  She always has great ideas about what looks nice on me, and my idea of the perfect day is when I go out shopping with my mom and my daughter.  (especially if the mall has Auntie Anne's Pretzels!)

My second Fashion Inspiration is my Amto G.  She is a fashionista muslimah in every sense of the word.  She was the woman who took me to buy my very first hijab when I decided to start covering.  I can still remember it was turquoise and salmon, and she stood me in front of her mirror at her house and wrapped it carefully for me, re-doing it three times before she was satisfied.  She was the woman who would show me ways to twist, tie, and flip my scarf to make a dozen different styles for every occassion.  Whether she is in jeans with flats, or a skirt with heels she always looks amazing, and I think of her every time I put on my scarf.

These two women are so precious to me, and I miss both of them terribly.  Every time I look in my closet to pick out an outfit I remember where I was with my beautiful mom when I bought it, and whenever I wrap my scarf and pin it into place I think of my Amto G.  Every piece of clothing represents a mood, an emotion, and a memory and I am so grateful that these two women are part of that.

So, my Stylish Sisters...who is your Fashion Inspiration?

Ma'Salaama and Happy Reminiscing!

Fashionably Yours,
The (sentimental) Mujahada in Prada

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wa Alaikum asSalaam habibti!
This post made me tear up! MashaAllah! I think it's wonderful that your mom and your Amto G. have inspired you so much and now you are inspiring us! Jazaki Allahu khairun for making and keeping up with this blog. <3 xxx