Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim....




The Mujahada in Prada

Saturday, March 27, 2010

~Stylishly Casual~

aSalaam uAlaikum and Good Evening My Stylish Sisters!


You know, I just realized that it's hard for me to blog about fashion, beauty, and style when I've been living in sweatpants and hoodies for almost two weeks now.  My days lately have consisted of unpacking, organizing, and making room for way too much stuff in way too little of a space. 
So, it got me to thinking...why not blog about those comfy, soothing, casual clothes that go along with chicken soup, and a good book on a rainy day?  After all, I met my husband when I was wearing a pair of VS Pink sweats, toe socks, and flip flops.  (he still refers to those beloved toe socks as my "toe gloves")  I mean, isn't our casual wear important enough to mention?  Don't our fleece sweats and oversized sweaters deserve the same credit as our skinny jeans and stilettos?  I think they do- even more actually, because these are the clothes we look forward to slipping into after a long hard day,


So here it is....my ode to those Absolutely Fabulous Casual Clothes...

Socks
Smurfette Socks from www.GirlzLyfe.com           Toe Socks from www.Buy.com

I have learned that there are two types of women in this world.  Those who can't stand to sleep in socks, and those who can't stand to sleep without socks.  I am one of the latter.  Although I loooove my flip flops (I do live in Cali afterall!) I absolutely can't stand to walk around my house barefoot, nor can I handle going to sleep without a pair of nice, cozy socks protecting my tootsies.  My husband makes fun of me, because he's never seen me wear a pair of plain white socks.  No way, tooo boring for me.  I love funky socks with stripes, cartoon characters, or silly sayings on them.  When it comes to socks the crazier and more colorful the better!  So tell me, which type of woman are you?


Loungewear
Now, I realize I will probably get some disagreement from some ladies when I say this but I'm going to say it anyway: I do not condone wearing loungewear outside of the house... except for two occassions.  One is traveling, and the other is if you are going into or being released from the hospital.  Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan of Juicy Couture velour suits as any girl is... but to me, if we start cruising the mall or going to the movies in our sweats then we will no longer have any right to complain about how lazily men dress.  (This really only applies to America, where guys think it's acceptable to show the world the print on their boxers, and choose which tee shirt to wear based on which one has the fewest pizza grease stains on it.)  But there is no reason we can't wear these trendy little track suits around our house, a wonderful way to stay comfy but still look like a diva for our hubbies. 

Hoodie,   Lounge Pants,   and   Tee  available   at   www.Aeropostale.com
Personally though, I prefer Aeropostale lounge wear to Juicy Couture any day.  Not only are their pieces a quarter of the price, but they are cute, quality made, and always have the best options of mixing and matching tees, sweats, and hoodies.  I love their tunic-length hoodies to wear around my house when non-mahram men are coming and going.  I just pull up the hood, tighten the ties and don't have to worry about scrambling to grab a scarf. 

Accessories
I'm pretty sure most of you ladies are thinking I've lost my mind.  I mean we are, after all, talking about loungewear; about relaxation and comfort.  But in my opinion just because we are sitting in our house, doesn't mean we can't accessorize our outfits.  It's especially important that those of us ladies who wear hijab do our best to take care of ourselves and look our best for our husbands.  It is easy to fall into the normal routine of the day, spending our time and our effort on maintaining our kids and our husbands and our house, while bypassing our own grooming.  But it only takes a few minutes to pull our hair into a sleek ponytail, dab some lipgloss and mascara on, spray a couple of spritzes of perfume on our neck and throw on a couple pieces of jewelry to keep that flame of love at least flickering.  Here are some of my favorite feminine frills that we can use to get glossy, but still kick back and be casual.

Headbands 
Headbands are a great way to look feminine and cute, but they are also a wonderful way to keep your hair out of your eyes throughout your day of cooking and cleaning.  I personally always have my hair pulled back, even when I'm around the house.  Continuing to pull your hair into a tight ponytail can cause breakage, damage, and eventually thinning or even balding.  Using a headband to loosely pull your hair back is the perfect way to give your hair a break, look pretty for your hubby and keep those annoying little flyaways out of your eyes.  Here are a few that are especially cute:

Flower Headband from http://www.jestjewels.com/   Green and Pink Headbands from http://www.ecrater.com/
Printed Wide Headbands From http://www.stylishmode.com/


Slippers
No matter what the season is it is always important to take care of your feet.  You're on them at least 25 hours a day, stuffing them into uncomfortable shoes, neglecting and abusing them.  They deserve to be just as comfortable as the rest of your body, so why not spoil them while you can?  A wonderful way to give those tooties the attention they deserve is by splurging on some truly luxurious slippers to wear around the house.  Here are some I found that look wonderfully plush and comfy:

 
Coddles Slippers from www.Zappos.com 
Cowboy Boot Slippers from www.Zappos.com 
Ugg Slippers from www.Nordstrom.com

Jewelry
 Some of you may think I'm crazy talking about wearing jewelry around the house, but I think it's important to wear a little bling even when you're just having coffee with your husband or playing with your kids.  When you start wearing hijab you very rarely get to wear earrings anymore, and lately I've started wearing a small pair of hoops underneath my scarf.  You can get a petite, pretty pair of hoops that you can keep on at all times that will add a bit of flash, but still be comfortable enough to wear under your hijab when you're out; cook, clean, play, shower, and sleep in when you're at home.  Hoops are more comfortable than studs because you don't have the post digging into your neck when you're laying down, and they look feminine and pretty.  Here are some cute little at-home hoops:
 
Silver Wrapped Hoops from www.Billythetree.com               
Marc Jacobs "Key To My Heart" Hoops at www.Zappos.com


Kate Spade Small Orange Hoops from www.Piperlime.com                       
Small 14k Gold Hoops from www.Macys.com 


 In my humble opinion Casual can still be Classy, Comfortable does NOT equal Sloppy, and Simple can easily be made Simply Stylish.  By just taking a couple of extra minutes a day you can look better for your husband, and to feel better about yourself.  If you spend all those hours in the day making your house look its best, why not take a couple of minutes to do the same for yourself?

Ma'Salaama and Happy Lounging!

Fashionably Yours,
The (Toe Glove Loving) Mujahada in Prada

No comments: