Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim....




The Mujahada in Prada

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

~Take It To The Max~

aSalaam uAlaikum and Good Morning My Stylish Sisters!

Have you all been rinsing fifty times?  How is that glow coming along?  Are any of you going for the Detox ride with me?  I know there is a lot to remember, and a lot to think about when you are a Fashionista Muslimah, but insh'Allah it all pays off in the long run!

So, the other day when I made that post about abayas, one of our dear sisters in Islam mentioned wearing maxi dresses as an alternative to abayas or skirts in the summer time. (thanks Nora habibti!)  Maxis are a great way to stay cool, be fashionable, and maintain our modesty throughout the summer months.  They are definitely one of my summer staples, so I thought it might be fun to take a look around and see what styles I could find, as well as give a few tips on how to Muslimah-fy these maxis.  (new word, ya like it??)

Now, there are a couple of tricks to wearing maxi dresses...

Length is Imperative:
When buying a maxi dress, watch out for those that are advertised as "ankle length".  Unless you are under 5'4" they will probably be too short.  You need to look for ones that are called "full length" or "floor length", regardless of how they fall on the model wearing them.  Remember, most models are around 5'10" to 6'0" tall and a size 4, so how a maxi looks on the model will probably not be how it will look on you.  (except for our sisters blessed with that body type)

Know Your Body Type:
Alhamdulillah, there are more and more stores and websites out there who are catering to all sizes.  While searching for maxis I found quite a few beautiful dresses that came in plus sizes.  The problem with getting a maxi in a size that is too small, is it will probably be too short and too tight for us to feel comfortable in.  I don't know about you, but if my skirt falls any shorter than brushing the top of my foot-it's too short. (especially because I like to wear them with my high-heel clogs)  So knowing your body type is very important when selecting a maxi.

Pay Attention To The Neckline: 
Granted, most of us will not be wearing the maxi the way it is shown, but it is important to think about how you will be wearing the dress when you select it.  For example, is the neckline high enough that you can get away with draping your scarf down, and wearing a cropped jacket?  Or will you need to wear an extra t-shirt, tank top, or long sleeve shirt underneath?  I do either of these options when needed, but when it is really hot outside, an extra piece of fabric is not something I savor.  

So, keeping those tidbits in mind, let's take a look at some of the maxi dresses that are out on the market right now. 

Maxi #1: Simple and Sophisticated
 
I personally love this very casual, very chic, floor-sweeping maxi from Alloy.  You can get it here. 



I would wear it with this adorable cropped jacket from forever21.com  along with a peach or salmon scarf, like this beautiful one below from Shukronline.  And some peach bangles like these from ShopBeachCombers.com.




Maxi #2: Bohemian Chic
For those sisters who prefer something with a print, here is a beautiful maxi from TheBuckle.com:


I like maxis like this one, because although it is tight around the bust, it comes up nice and high, so if you have a long enough scarf to drape over the bust area, all you need is a cute cropped jacket to go with it.  I would dress this casual dress up by wearing this elegant scarf from hijabgirl.com and super cute cropped blazer from forever21.com.:



Maxi #3: Fun and Funky
Here is a really funky, and feminine maxi by Sam & Max, available on Overstock.com:
This dress is so colorful, I would probably wear it with a very simple, basic black blazer, and light blue scarf like these:
            Forever21.com Basic Black Blazer       2hijab.com Blended Egyptian Cotton Scarf


Maxi #4: Beautiful Plum Paisley
Here is a gorgeous maxi of similar design from JCPenney.com that goes up to size 3X:

This dress you would probably have to wear a black tank underneath to ensure full coverage, but if you had a wide enough scarf you may get away without it. 
I would wear this dress with a cardigan like this one shown in the Raisin color from WomanWithin.com and one of these beautiful coordinating Plum colored scarves from ScarvesandMoreBlogSpot.com Monotone is a great way to go to help slim your figure and maintain a streamlined look.

Maxi #5: Basic Khaki
Here is another beautiful simple maxi that could be dressed up for a special occassion, or worn with a jean jacket for a picnic.  You can find it on Asos.com

Personally I would wear this dress with a cropped military style jacket such as this one from Forever21.com.  This one is extra cute because of the ruffles around the collar and edge. 


Because both the dress and coat are plain colors, you can wear a funkier hijab to spice it up, and accessorize with a funky gold bracelet like this one from Target.com or fun flats like these leopard print from Asos.com.

Maxi #6:  Everyday Luxury
This maxi from Spiegel.com is definitely on my wish list.  It comes in black, and plum and has a coordinating drapey cardigan.



Like I said before, monochrome is great for creating a slim appearance, and also to mix and match.  I would probably wear a striped or printed hijab to brighten up this outfit, such as this one from AlHijabWorld.com, along with some fun silver accessories like these from Forever21.com.

Maxi #6: Beautiful Boho
This dress is not only summery and cool with a casual hippie style to it, but ideal because you can adjust the straps so it will range from 56"-58" long.  You can find it at BabyGirlBoutique.com, which also has some other great maxis in pretty prints.
Now, obviously this dress is way too low cut for us to risk simply draping our scarf in the front, so you can get great, basic tanks at Nordstrom.com that come in 20 different colors, and are perfect for layering.  I would probably get it in the Dune color to wear under either of these maxis.

I would finish off the outfit with a casual bleached out denim cropped jacket like the one shown from FreePeople.com, a contrasting scarf like these:

HijabGirl.com                              AlHijabWorld.com
 
Well, I don't know about you ladies, but after this post I definitely have the urge to go do some summer shopping.  Insh'Allah I have found a dress that suits your taste, whether you prefer a simple, monochrome maxi, or a fun and funky patterned one.  Remember you can always pick a nice, simple dress, and make it something special with the right accessories.  Maxis are a great way to stay cool in the hot summer, while still mainting your fashionista Muslimah look!
 
Ma'Salaama and Happy Maxi Shopping!
 
Fashionably Yours,
The Mujahada in Prada

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I loved loved loved this post, you are such a darling!! I loved some of the maxis, I definately have to check them out and then store the link in my "shopping sites" notepad until I have the needed budget. Im still thinking up the best coordinates for my upcoming trip to the local zoo- its gonna be a lot of walking, a lot of sunshine so I need the most comfortable muslimah-fied (love the new word!) outfit for the occassion :-)
Got any ideas where to find a super light-weight/trendy/fashionable/classy jacket for the needed cover-up in summer?
oh before I forget, Thank you :-)

The Mujahada in Prada said...

Salaam uAlaikum ladies!
Thanks so much for following me, I'm so glad you liked this most recent post-it was a lot of fun for me to put together (although will definitely hit my checkbook hard! LOL)
Groovy-insh'Allah we can both stick to the Detox Diet. May Allah make it beneficial for both of us. Ameen. Insh'Allah we will both be able to buy some new summer clothes in a couple sizes smaller after all of this work! :)
Nora-thanks so much for the idea for this post! Love your beautiful scarves, so it was only natural for me to use one, insh'Allah I'll use many more in the future. For a light-weight jacket I would definitely check out forever21.com they have a huge selection of different styles, lengths, and fabrics and are very reasonably priced. Also take a look at Lulus.com they have some really trendy styles, and have great sales! Insh'Allah you can find what you're looking for!
Ma'Salaama!

Anonymous said...

MashaAllah I can finally see the last couple of outfits. They are gorgeous! Can't wait to see how we look in a couple months!!!!

Devea said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog! I am following you! Make sure to check out and follow mine! :)

http://cupcakesofsilk.blogspot.com/