Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim....




The Mujahada in Prada

Friday, February 26, 2010

~From The Eiffel Tower To Aisle Fourteen~

aSalaam uAlaikum and Good Morning My Stylish Sisters!

Pop Quiz: What does Jean Paul Gaultier have to do with Target?





Answer: Absolutely NADA until March 7th, 2010.

That's right, Target (pronounced Tar-jay by true fashionistas) is going to start carrying Jean Paul Gaultier!

The fashion house responsible for outlandish, costume-like couture, flowing gowns, and exotic perfumes is coming to mainstream America.  After learning a bit more about Mr. Gaultier and his personality, it really isn't such a shock that he would choose to present his line at such an "American" store.  He is, after all, the man who simply can not wait to get to America so he can eat a hamburger.  "A real big, good hamburger."  He also has said about American women, "A lot of women here are very well dressed, more than in Paris. Parisian women don't want to look dressed. I don't know! I think I have never lived in Paris in a time when people were well dressed." (Go here to read the whole interview)

I don't know about you ladies, but I am over the moon at the idea of having Jean Paul Gaultier not just within my reach, but within my budget.  There may be some who will say he is "cheapening" his line by selling it to mainstream America, but it worked for Isaac Mizrahi, so why wouldn't it work for Mr. Gaultier as well?

Here are some great little pieces that will be making their appearance at your local Target March 7th.


At first glance these looks might seem like nothing we, hijabis, could ever wear.  But if you take these outfits piece by piece, you will see it's definitely possible to make these funky little numbers wrk for you.  That red dress in the middle, for example, would be adorable over some pinstriped slacks, with a black blazer, black scarf and some funky red shoes!


Love the little sundress on the right, it would look great with some dressy black slacks, some kitten heels and a white cardigan with coordinating scarf!


Now, I'm not sure we could do much with either of these outfits, but the cute peach shirt with the eyes would be adorable for an all-girls gathering with some casual black pants and trainers.  And I looove the fedora, I've always wanted to have an excuse to wear a fedora over my hijab but have never found the right occasion.


And saving the best for last, I looove this trench!  The striped military accents on the chest add a little bit of pizzazz to a very simple coat.  It's a light weight fabric that works great over tanks in the summer with some cute slacks or jeans.
(All pics from SassiSamBlog.com)

I had my doubts when I first read the news in my March, 2010, Vogue.  But I've come around.  I guess the marraige of Paris, France and Paris, Illinois;  the introduction of high-end couture into middle-class convenience; the juxtaposition of the Eiffel Tower and Aisle 14 work out better than I thought.

Ma'Salaama and Happy Shopping!

Fashionably Yours,
The (Tar-jay loving) Mujahada in Prada

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Assalamu Alaikum,
Looks very cool! I love Target's clothing, but since I'm in between regular and plus sizes I find that usually the cute clothes at Target don't fit. Then again I live in the middle of nowhere and the stores near me are pretty old. That trench coat is pretty hot.

I also picked up some Boots cream the other day like you suggested, but they didn't have the night cream I wanted to try :(

The Mujahada in Prada said...

Lauren if you like the Boots cream you bought in the store, order the night cream online at http://www.us.boots.com/
or from Target online.
Insh'Allah it works! And I know what you mean about Target clothes, their large is usually a little small on me, but the plus sizes are too big...I did luck out yesterday and find a couple of really cute tops that fit well alhamdulillah. Insh'Allah that face cream works for you!