Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim....




The Mujahada in Prada

Saturday, March 20, 2010

~Glowing With Creativity~


aSalaam uAlaikum and Good Evening My Fabulous Fashionistas!

Jummah Mubarak! Insh'Allah you have all had a wonderful Friday and have some fun and relaxing plans for the weekend ahead!

I have taken the last couple of days pondering how I should post about my latest trip through the SouthWest United States. Initially, I was planning to do one article covering the whole trip, discussing the beautiful Native American and Mexican inspired fashions I saw, the gorgeous silver and precious stone jewelry I admired, and the breathtaking landscapes I enjoyed.  But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this would truly be unfair to both you, my fashionable followers, and to the article because I would be trying to squeeze wayyyy too much beauty into one teeeeny tiny space.

So, instead, I think I will post about a couple of items at a time, starting with the most innovative, and beautiful handmade creations I saw during my trip.

When perusing a local arts and crafts fair in Las Cruces, New Mexico, I came across a small booth of lovingly hand-made oil lamps, "Shadow Dancers", and night-lights.  Ranging from classic cylinders, to beautifully styled lanterns these gorgeous accessories have been a family tradition for years, and are as environmentally green as you can get.

Every single one of these intricate pieces of art are lovingly welded from normal, everyday tin cans.  There is absolutely no better example of a diamond in the rough, for the finished products are absolutely amazing.

They range in size from petite tea-candles to chic chandeliers, and include designs from crosses to curly-cues, celtic knots to moroccan tiles.  In Las Cruces there is one Moroccan restaurant, and the owner imported everything including the cook from Morocco...everything, that is, except the lighting.  Those he chose from this amazingly talented group of people, and their line of lights called Cantastiks.

Not only are these creations available in all different sizes and shapes, but you can also buy them in a variety of colors.  I chose the patina, because I am insh'Allah going to decorate my new home in browns and greens, but the classic pewter color is just as beautiful. 


Here are a couple of my favorite styles from their website:


Custom Created Chandelier



Small Shadowdancer
(this is the style I bought)



Medium Shadowdancer

To see more of these amazing pieces of art, you can go to their website at http://www.cantastiks.com/.  No matter the size or shape, every one of these lovely lights are glowing with creativity.

Ma'Salaama and Happy Shadow Dancing!

Fashionably Yours,
The (Green Art Loving) Mujahada in Prada 


 

2 comments:

Sherlock Bones said...

these look amazing! i want one too =( and sounds like you had an amazing trip! i've always wanted to travel south to the U.S

Anonymous said...

wa Alaikum asSalaam habibti! MashaAllah! I LOVE these shadowdancers! Your trip out west must have been wonderful seeing all these beautiful artsy things. I am so glad you showed these to us and I am really looking forward to what else you have to share with us from that trip! Thanks :)